Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Vegetarian
Cuisine: Creole, Fusion
Serves: 1 10" x 7" Casserole Dish
- 1½ lbs. yam
- 8 oz. grated cheese
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 pimento, finely diced
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. of each: big leaf thyme, fine leaf thyme, chive, celery, Parsley
- Wash and boil the yam until tender. Remove the skin and place the yam in a separate bowl. Mash the yam until it is slightly smooth, it is okay to have a little bit of lumps in it.
- Add the chopped onion, chopped herbs, paprika, and parsley to the yam. Make the white sauce for the yam. Melt the butter in a sauce pan, add the onion and pimiento.
- Mix in the flour and pour the milk. Stir and allow to cook until slightly thicken. Add the grated ¾ of the grated cheese and grated nutmeg. Mix well. Pour into the yam and mix well.
- Pour in a greased baking dish. Sprinkle cheese and a little finely chopped parsley over and bake in a preheated oven for about 45 minutes and bake at about 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved