Roast Bake and Saltfish
- For Bake:
- 2 cups plain flour or 3/4 cups plain flour and 1/4 cup wholewheat flour
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. butter or lard
- For Saltfish:
- 1/2 lb. saltfish
- 3 cloves garlic crushed and chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3/4 cups tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 tsp. chive chopped
- 1/2 tsp. thyme chopped (spanish or fine leaf)
- 2 tbsp. olive or coconut oil to fry the salt fish
- 1 small hot pepper finely chopped (optional)
- Sift the flour and baking powder together. Then cut the lard or butter into the flour. Mix well to a fine meal. Add the water, and knead to form a smooth dough.
- Leave to rest for about 30 to 40 minutes. Roll out to a desired thickness. You may spread a little oil on the rolled dough before placing it on the tawah to bake. Bake on both sides. Remove and place on a clean kitchen cloth.
- Boil the salt fish until tender and the bones and skin is easily removed. Wash out the extra salt with water.
- Saute the onion, pimento, and tomato for about 2 minutes. Add the salt fish. Cook for another 3-5 minutes. Add a little bit of water if desired. Season to taste. Remove and serve with bake.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved