Split Peas and Rice with Pigtail
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Rice Dishes
Serves: Serves 4 - 5
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- 1 cup split peas
- ½ lb pigtail
- 6 leaves chadon beni, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp. roucou
- 3 pimento peppers, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 hot pepper
- 1 tbsp. coconut powder
- 2 tbsp. oil
- Salt to taste
- Put the split peas to soak for 1 hour. Boil the rice and set aside.
- Pressure cook the pigtail for 10 - 15 minutes and set aside. Put the split peas to boil until soft.
- Saute the onion, garlic and pimento pepper. Add the pigtail and let cook for about 2 - 3 minutes. Pour in the split peas then add the roucou and hot pepper (whole).
- Add the coconut powder and allow to simmer for 10 minutes add salt to taste. (Note: What we're looking for is semi thick consistency. Not too thick; not too watery).
- Mix in the chadon beni. Serve over rice.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved