- 1 1/2 lbs. potatoes
- 8 oz. grated cheese
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 pimento finely diced
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk low fat
- 2 tbsp. butter unsalted
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1 tsp. salt
- pepper optional
- Note: Reduce sodium in this recipe by removing the bouillon cube or tsp. salt.
- In a deep pot, boil water for the potatoes. Peel the potatoes and dice. Place in boiling water for about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- While the potato is boiling, make the white sauce. On a low flame melt the butter in a deep pan and add the chopped onions.
- Cook the onion until soft, for about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the flame and add the flour and mix well.
- Add the milk and mix well again. Return the liquid to a low flame and continue to cook until the liquid is thick.
- Add the bouillon cube if desired or salt. Stir the liquid every now and then. Remove from the flame when the liquid is thick and a bit creamy.
- Add the pimiento and parsley to the potatoes. Add the white sauce and about 5 oz of the grated cheese. Mix well and pour in a greased casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the rest of the grated cheese over the potato. Bake in a preheated oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved