Servings: 1 cake
- 2 cup strained sorrel pulp
- 1/2 cup mixed peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond essence or extract
- 1/8 teaspoon red food colouring powder
- 1/2 pound flour
- 1 cup sugar granulated
- 1 1/2 cup raisins
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup cherry brandy
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 pound butter unsalted
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rum distilled, 80 proof
- The sorrel is boiled a bit and strained. (Note: If you're making sorrel drink this Christmas just save some of the sorrel sepals after boiling).
- Mince the sorrel. Wash and dry the fruits. Mince half the fruits. Mix all the fruits with the blended sorrel pulp. Add the almond essence, vanilla essence, pour 3/4 cup of the cherry brandy, and 1/2 cup of the rum on to the mixed fruit.
- Cream butter and sugar until light. Whisk eggs and add to butter mixture. Mix well. Add the fruits and colouring; mix well. Sift together the flour and baking powder. Add the salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir until smooth.
- Pour into greased tin and bake in a low oven ( 180 degrees F ) until golden brown on the top and when stuck with a knife, it comes out clean. Pour the remaining liquor over the cake (This part is of course optional if you wish to limit the amount of alcohol in the cake).
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved