Servings: 1 cake
- 2 cup strained sorrel pulp
- 1/2 cup mixed peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond essence or extract
- 1/8 teaspoon red food colouring powder
- 1/2 pound flour
- 1 cup sugar granulated
- 1 1/2 cup raisins
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup cherry brandy
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 pound butter unsalted
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rum distilled, 80 proof
- The sorrel is boiled a bit and strained. (Note: If you're making sorrel drink this Christmas just save some of the sorrel sepals after boiling).
- Mince the sorrel. Wash and dry the fruits. Mince half the fruits. Mix all the fruits with the blended sorrel pulp. Add the almond essence, vanilla essence, pour 3/4 cup of the cherry brandy, and 1/2 cup of the rum on to the mixed fruit.
- Cream butter and sugar until light. Whisk eggs and add to butter mixture. Mix well. Add the fruits and colouring; mix well. Sift together the flour and baking powder. Add the salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir until smooth.
- Pour into greased tin and bake in a low oven ( 180 degrees F ) until golden brown on the top and when stuck with a knife, it comes out clean. Pour the remaining liquor over the cake (This part is of course optional if you wish to limit the amount of alcohol in the cake).
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved