Ginger soy steamed fish is a simple and traditional Chinese dish.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time:35 mins
- 3 fish fillets I used swai fillets
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp red chilies
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rice cooking wine or rum or cherry brandy
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 banana leaf
- Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, red chilies, ginger, water, rice cooking wine
- and sugar in a bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Wash the fish with the lime. Drain, then add to the ginger soy mixture. Marinate for 20 mins.
- Singe the banana leaf over an open flame and wrap the fish fillets.
- Place the fish parcels in the steamer. Steam for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Carefully unwrap and enjoy.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved
Whole Steamed Fish
- 1 pimento pepper sliced
- 2 tbsp green seasoning
- salt to taste
- 1 whole snapper or other large white fish
- 1 carrot sliced lengthways
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 sprigs of chive
- 1 tbsp. grated ginger
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lemon
- Scale the fish, wash with lemon, rinse and wipe dry.
- Make several cuts diagonally across both sides of the fish.
- Singe the banana leaf over fire. Clean with a little bleach and water. Wipe dry.
- Place the fish on the banana leaf.
- Rub in the green seasoning and sprinkle salt to taste.
- Note: Make sure you get the seasoning well into the cuts.
- Scatter the pimento, onion, carrot and ginger over the fish.
- Whisk oil and soy sauce in a bowl then pour over the fish .
- Wrap the leaf over the fish and place in the steamer over gently simmering water.
- Cover tightly and steam for about 15 minutes or until tender. Unwrap and serve.