Stew Black Eyed Peas
- 1 cup black eyed peas
- 2 tbsp coconut milk powder optional
- 1 med onion sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup water
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup rice
- 5 cups water to pressure cook black eyed peas
- Boil rice, strain and set aside.
- Pressure cook black eyed peas for 18 minutes or until soft, strain.
- Add salt to the black eyed peas. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep pot add onion and let fry until golden brown.
- Note the colour of the onion. At this stage it gives off an fragrant sweet odour.
- If adding the coconut milk powder, stir it in at this point.
- Add the black eyed peas to the onion and stir.
- Add the 1/2 cup water and stir. (for sauce)
- Adjust salt if needed. Serve over the rice.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved