Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Vegetarian
- 1 lb channa (garbanzo bean, chickpea)
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- ½ cup chadon beni, chopped (divided)
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 2 leaves big leaf thyme, chopped
- ½ c fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp. fine leaf thyme
- 1 tsp. marjoram
- ½ tsp. sage
- ⅓ cup sesame seed, toasted
- 2 pimento, chopped
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Oil for frying
- Soak the channa for 15 mins. Drain.
- Pressure cook the channa for 20 minutes. Then drain the water and set aside to cool.
- Next, toast the sesame seeds in a pot.
- Note: The sesame seed adds a nutty flavour to the channa pattie.
- Toast until golden brown.
- Blend the sesame seeds until fine then set aside.
- Prepare the herbs and the seasoning for the patties.
- Reserve ½ the chopped chadon beni and some parsley.
- In a food processor, add the channa, sesame seed, onion, garlic, pimento pepper and the chopped herbs.
- Blend the ingredients together.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, including the eggs, and proceed
- to make balls by scooping ½ cup of the channa mixture each time.
- Note: No flour was used.
- Place the balls on a tray with waxed paper.
- You will get 10 channa balls for this recipe.
- Flatten and form the patties in the palm of your hands.
- The flattened channa is ready for frying.
- Fry the channa patties over a low flame. Flip the patties over and fry until golden.
- Note: Just use enough oil to cover the channa patties.
- I used a low flame so I can have more control over the frying process.
- Place the patties on napkins to remove the excess oil.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved