Sometimes when you feel for a simple custard, a mango flavored custard is just what you need. I always enjoy making this mango custard during the mango season, but if you can get ripe mango any other time of the year, go ahead and try this recipe.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 1 hr
- ripe mango, enough to make 1 cup pureed mango
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk. scalded
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Peel mango and remove the seed.
- Process mangoes in a food processor or blender until smooth to get the pulp. Set aside 1cup.
- Beat eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer until frothy.
- Add lime rind to the egg. This will help remove most of the fresh “eggy” scent.
- Add sugar and salt beat until blended
- Gradually add milk, mango puree and vanilla extract, beating at low speed until blended.
- Pour custard mixture into 8 (6-ounce) or 6 (5-ounce) custard cups, ramekins, etc.
- Set the custard cups in a roasting pan. Add hot water to a depth of 1 inch. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove ramekins/ custard cups from water carefully.
- Serve mango custard at room temperature or chilled with mango slices and a dollop of whipped cream topping.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved