Coconut Almond Bake
- 4 cup all-purpose flour or 3 ½ all-purpose flour + ½ whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg optional
- 2 tablespoons 1 envelop instant yeast
- ½ cup finely grated coconut
- ½ cup almond meal or finely grated almond
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ – ¾ cup coconut milk or almond milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla almond and coconut Essence (each), optional
- In a deep bowl, sift flour. Mix in the salt, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and yeast.
- Prepare the coconut meal and almond meal. Retain the milk.
- Then add the coconut and almond meal to the flour. Mix well.
- Next, beat the eggs. Add the milk, vanilla and melted butter. Blend well.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture. Mix with a fork to form a soft dough.
- Scrape the sides and continue to knead. Add some flour if the dough gets sticky while you knead.
- Next, knead for about 5 minutes or until you get a smooth dough like in the picture.
- Cover and let rise until it doubles in size. Punch down and place on a cookie tray.
- Using a rolling pin or hands, shape dough into a circle (3/4 -1 inch thick) in a greased baking tin, round or square. Prick top of the bake with fork to decorate. Leave to rest for another 15 minutes.
- Place in an oven and bake at 250°F for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved