Wholewheat Coconut Bake
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Breads
Cuisine: Creole/ Caribbean
Serves: 1 bake
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar, brown
- 2 tbsp. yeast or 1 sachet yeast (quick)
- ¾ cup finely grated coconut
- ½ -3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. melted butter, unsalted (or coconut oil or olive oil)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon and nutmeg (optional)
- Chop the coconut kernel and finely the grate the coconut with a cup of water in a blender. Strain the coconut to remove most of the water.
- Sift the flour. Add the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and dry quick yeast. Mix well. Add the coconut meat, ½ cup coconut milk and butter or oil. Add a little more water if necessary.
- Mix well, dusting a little more flour to help with the kneading. Knead to a soft dough. Roll in a ball and placed in a bowl that is dusted with some flour. Allow to rest until it has doubled in size.
- Punch down and shape into a ball. Place on a flat greased baking pan and roll out with a bailna (rolling pin) until the dough is about 1 inch thick. Leave to rest for another 15 minutes.
- Place in an oven and bake at 250°F for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved