Whole Steamed Fish
- 1 pimento pepper sliced
- 2 tbsp green seasoning
- salt to taste
- 1 whole snapper or other large white fish
- 1 carrot sliced lengthways
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 sprigs of chive
- 1 tbsp. grated ginger
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lemon
- Scale the fish, wash with lemon, rinse and wipe dry.
- Make several cuts diagonally across both sides of the fish.
- Singe the banana leaf over fire. Clean with a little bleach and water. Wipe dry.
- Place the fish on the banana leaf.
- Rub in the green seasoning and sprinkle salt to taste.
- Note: Make sure you get the seasoning well into the cuts.
- Scatter the pimento, onion, carrot and ginger over the fish.
- Whisk oil and soy sauce in a bowl then pour over the fish .
- Wrap the leaf over the fish and place in the steamer over gently simmering water.
- Cover tightly and steam for about 15 minutes or until tender. Unwrap and serve.
You can make a makeshift “steamer’ using a rice strainer and a cover over a pot of water.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved