Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Vegetarian
Cuisine: East Indian
Serves: 16 small samosas
- 1½ tbsp shortening
- 1½ c all-purpose flour (substitute ½ c whole wheat flour for whole wheat samosas)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ c water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ c sliced onion
- ½ c finely chopped cauliflower
- ½ c green peas (petit pois or pigeon peas)
- ½ c finely chopped potatoes
- ½ c finely chopped cabbage
- ½ tbsp. minced hot pepper (or 1 tsp. cayeene pepper)
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp ground geera (roasted cumin powder)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chive
- 1 cup coconut oil for frying
- salt to taste
- Prepare the dough
- Combine the flour and salt. Cut in the shortening.
- Form a well in the centre of the flour.
- Add the water.
- and knead to form a smooth dough. Set aside.
- Prepare the ingredients for the filling
- Prepare the peas. Chop the cauliflower and cabbage.
- Note: In our case we used the green beans so we had to thaw it.
- Chop the onion, pepper, and potato. Chop finely.
- Prepare the chive, ginger, garlic and measure the powders.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil and saute onion…
- add the chive and hot pepper, garlic and ginger.
- Next, add turmeric and cumin and a little water. Cook for a few minutes on low heat.
- Add the potato…
- Then add cauliflower, cabbage, green peas and salt to taste. Stir.
- Cook until tender, use a little water if needed. Set aside to cool.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll into balls.
- On a floured surface, roll each ball into thin circles.
- Note: Sometimes the circle may not be too perfect but that’s OK. If you have a large cookie cutter or a bowl about 6″ in diameter you may use it as well to cut the circles.
- Cut the circle in half.
- Carefully remove and place on a plate.
- Along the flat edge, pass a little water with your finger.
- From the flat edge bring the two ends together and overlap.
- Now, this is how it looks when the edges meet. Press the edges together gently.
- Then open out to form a cone.
- In each cone put one tablespoon of filling.
- Put a little water along the edge and….
- Fold over.
- Press with fingers and seal.
- Set aside.
- Heat oil over a medium fire.
- Deep fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve with your favourite sauce or chutney.