Trinidad Stew Chicken
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Meats
Cuisine: Caribbean, Creole
Serves: Serves 5 - 7
- 1 chicken (2 -3 lbs), cut up, seasoned and marinated overnight (or at least for 1 hour)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 sprig chive, chopped
- 2 sprigs fine leaf thyme, chopped
- 2 leaves big leaf thyme, chopped
- 2 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp tomato paste (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Heat a deep heavy pot on a medium fire. Add the sugar and allow it to melt and simmer until it looks golden brown.
- Add the marinated meat and ¼ cup 0f water. Allow the browning to coat the meat evenly. Lower the heat and allow to simmer for 2 mins.
- Add the chopped fresh herbs, salt pepper, and 1½ cups of water to just about cover the chicken. Cook until the meat is tender (about 25 - 30 mins). You may add a teaspoon of tomato paste for taste. Serve with rice.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved