Trinidad Stew Chicken
- 1 chicken 2 -3 lbs, cut up, seasoned and marinated overnight (or at least for 1 hour)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 sprig chive chopped
- 2 sprigs fine leaf thyme chopped
- 2 leaves big leaf thyme chopped
- 2 sprigs parsley chopped
- 1 tsp tomato paste optional
- Salt and pepper to taste optional
- Heat a deep heavy pot on a medium fire. Add the sugar and allow it to melt and simmer until it looks golden brown.
- Add the marinated meat and 1/4 cup 0f water. Allow the browning to coat the meat evenly. Lower the heat and allow to simmer for 2 mins.
- Add the chopped fresh herbs, salt pepper, and 1 1/2 cups of water to just about cover the chicken. Cook until the meat is tender (about 25 - 30 mins). You may add a teaspoon of tomato paste for taste. Serve with rice.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved