- 2 cups cornmeal
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter or shortening
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 1 cup grated pumpkin
- ¼ cup seedless raisins
- 1 cup water
- Banana leaves
- Cotton strings to tie
- Mix together all the ingredients and blend well.
- To prepare banana leaves: Wipe leaves with a clean cloth dipped in a weak solution of bleach and water.
- Quickly pass the leaves over a medium to low flame. Allow the leaf to get slightly dark, not to burn. Cut the leaves into squares (about 15-20 cm) and set aside.
- Grease a square leaf and place 2 tablespoon of the mixture in the center. Flatten a bit. Fold over leaves and tie securely. Boil in hot water for about 1/2 an hour.
- Cool, remove from wrapping and serve.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved