Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Vegetarian
Cuisine: East Indian
- PHOLOURIE (boulders):
- 2 cups split peas powder
- ½ tsp. saffron powder (tumeric)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. green seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup split peas powder
- 2 tbsp. green seasoning
- 14 cups water, divided
- 1 tsp. saffron (tumeric)
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 2 tsp. geera (cumin)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. curry
- salt to taste
- Pholourie (boulders): Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl thoroughly. (Test the mixture by dropping small blobs of batter in a cup of water until it floats).
- Have a little bowl of water at hand to dip the spoon into before dipping it in the batter. You could use either a ½ tablespoon or tablespoon according to the size you want. Fry until golden and drain on paper towels.
- Dhal: Mix the split peas powder and green seasoning in 3 cups of water. Heat the oil over a medium flame; add the garlic, onion, and saffron (tumeric) to saute.
- Add the curry and let it fry until it is about to stick to the pot. Add the dhal and the rest of water (11 cups) and stir (Note: While stirring, the dhal will thicken.)
- Add the hot pepper and "boulders". Bring to a boil. Add geera and salt to taste
- Serve over rice or with roti.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved