Trinidad Flour Pastelle
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tbsp. margarine
- 2 cups water
- 2 packs mince meat any meat of your choice
- 5 cloves garlic
- 4 bundles chive
- 3 big thyme
- 1 small bundle culantro chadon beni
- 1 tsp. paprika parsley
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. golden ray margarine optional
- 2 tbsp. capers optional
- 2 tbsp. raisins optional
- 8 olives chopped finely optional
- 3-4 tbsp. roucou
- pepper and salt to taste
- 2 - 3 large fig banana leaves
- String to tie
- Filling: Mix the seasoning and the meat and place in a heavy pot to cook until brown. Add the roucou, tomato paste, and golden ray margarine.
- Add a little pepper sauce to taste or 1 hot pepper, finely chopped. Add the rest of the ingredients. When done, remove from fire and set aside to cool.
- In a deep bowl, sift the flour and cut in the cookeen margarine. Mix and slowly add the water until a soft dough is formed. Leave to rest for approximately 15 minutes.
- Cut the dough into small pieces and roll into 2 inch diameter balls. Cover and rest for 5 minutes. Grease the 2 square banana leaves on the smooth side only and place on the pastelle press.
- Place one rolled dough in the centre on the first leaf. Press the second greased leaf over the dough. Remove the top leaf. Fold the leaf carefully. Tie the parcels.
- Repeat the process. Cook the pastelles in hot water or steam the in a double boiler for about 25-30 minutes. Drain and serve hot.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved