Trinidad Black Cake
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Desserts
Serves: 2 5 pound cake ( 64 slices)
- 3½ -4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 eggs
- 1 bt. sherry brandy (25%, 50 proof)
- 1 cup browning
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence or extract
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 lbs. fruits (raisins, currants, dates, cherries, mixed peel, almond, sultanas)
- Grated orange rind
- Rum, 80 proof (at least 4 cups)
- Sift the flour and the baking soda together in a separate bowl. Add spices to flour.
- ream the shortening and sugar. Beat the eggs. Add the eggs, browning and vanilla essence. Mix well. Add the flour to the cream mixture.
- Blend about about ¾ cup of fruits and ½ cup of sherry brandy to the consistency of a jam.
- Add the soaked blended fruits and fruits and mix.
- Place in a greased and floured baking dish and bake in a preheated oven 270-300 degrees Fahrenheit or until cake leaves the sides or for about (3 hours).
- Test with a thin knife, insert in the centre of the cake, if it comes out clean the cake is done. Pour some rum over the baked cake immediately after it is baked.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved