Trinidad Black Cake
Servings: 2 5 pound cake ( 64 slices)
- 3 1/2 -4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 eggs
- 1 bt. sherry brandy 25%, 50 proof
- 1 cup browning
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence or extract
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 lbs. fruits raisins, currants, dates, cherries, mixed peel, almond, sultanas
- Grated orange rind
- Rum 80 proof (at least 4 cups)
- Sift the flour and the baking soda together in a separate bowl. Add spices to flour.
- ream the shortening and sugar. Beat the eggs. Add the eggs, browning and vanilla essence. Mix well. Add the flour to the cream mixture.
- Blend about about 3/4 cup of fruits and 1/2 cup of sherry brandy to the consistency of a jam.
- Add the soaked blended fruits and fruits and mix.
- Place in a greased and floured baking dish and bake in a preheated oven 270-300 degrees Fahrenheit or until cake leaves the sides or for about (3 hours).
- Test with a thin knife, insert in the centre of the cake, if it comes out clean the cake is done. Pour some rum over the baked cake immediately after it is baked.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved