Trinidad Beef Pie (Pastry)
- 1 pack about 1 lb. minced beef
- 2 leaves big thyme
- 5 sprigs chive
- 2 pimento pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 medium onion
- Pie crust:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Place the beef in a small pot or frying pan. Add the thyme, chive, pimento pepper, salt, paprika, garlic and onion to the beef.
- Cook over a medium flame. There is no need to add oil because the minced beef has its own fat. Set aside when done.
- Cut the butter and shortening into the flour then add the cold water. Roll into a coarse ball. Don't knead. To roll the ball you can dust with a little flour.
- Cut into smaller balls, of your preferred size. This recipe makes about 27 medium sized beef pies. To make the small balls, roll small amounts of pastry dough in the palm of your hands. Again, don't knead.
- Flatten each ball and place some beef in the middle, about 1 tbsp. of beef. Roll in half and seal the edges. You can use a fork to mark the edges.
- Place on greased cookie sheet and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes at 330 degrees F. or until golden brown. Allow to cool and serve.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved