Red beans, better known as kidney beans, is a sure addition to the traditional Sunday meal here in Trinidad and Tobago so much so, that it is also called Sunday Peas by all trini cooks.
Prep Time: 15minutes mins
Cook Time: 30minutes mins
Total Time: 45minutes mins
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup red beans kidney beans
- 2 pime2 pimento pepper seasoning peppers
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 cup diced pumpkin
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 6 leaves chadon beni chopped
- 2 tbsp green seasoning
- 2 sprigs fine leaf thyme
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar optional
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- Boil rice. Strain and set aside .
- Clean and wash the red beans. Place in a deep pot and add hot water. Soak for 15 minutes.
- Chop the onion, celery, pumpkin, and pimento pepper. Finely dice the rest of the herbs.
- Put the beans to boil. Then add the chopped pumpkin, onion, garlic, celery and pimento pepper. Note: You may have to add about a cup of water and simmer for 5 minutes. Then cover and pressure cook for 30 minutes or until the beans are soft.
- When the red beans are good enough, place in a separate pot and continue cooking. Add the chopped chadon beni, big leaf thyme and fine leaf thyme to the pot.
- Allow to simmer for another 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, then the green seasoning, the optional sugar, and salt for taste. Allow to simmer until the excess water evaporates. Remove and serve with rice.
Click the link to download PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved