Trini Red Beans
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Vegetarian
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup red beans ( kidney beans)
- 2 pime2 pimento pepper (seasoning peppers)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup diced pumpkin
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 6 leaves chadon beni, chopped
- 2 tbsp green seasoning
- 2 sprigs fine leaf thyme
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- Boil rice. Strain and set aside .
- Clean and wash the red beans. Place in a deep pot and add hot water. Soak for 15 minutes.
- Chop the onion, celery, pumpkin, and pimento pepper. Finely dice the rest of the herbs.
- Put the beans to boil. Then add the chopped pumpkin, onion, garlic, celery and pimento pepper. Note: You may have to add about a cup of water and simmer for 5 minutes. Then cover and pressure cook for 30 minutes or until the beans are soft.
- When the red beans are good enough, place in a separate pot and continue cooking. Add the chopped chadon beni, big leaf thyme and fine leaf thyme to the pot.
- Allow to simmer for another 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, then the green seasoning, the optional sugar, and salt for taste. Allow to simmer until the excess water evaporates. Remove and serve with rice.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved