Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Desserts
Cuisine: East Indian
Serves: 40 squares
- 397 g (1 small box) cream of wheat
- ½ cup butter, unsalted
- 4½ cups water
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1¾ cups sugar
- Cinnamon, vanilla essence to taste
- Peanuts, cherries, raisins and sliced almond to Garnish (optional)
- In deep pot pour the water, milk, sugar and spices and bring to boil until the sugar melts.
- In another deep pot, parch the cream of wheat until golden brown on a medium heat. Keep turning the cream of wheat so it has an even brown colour.
- Melt ⅔ of the butter in the liquid, remove from heat and set aside. Carefully, pour the liquid into the into the parched cream of wheat slowly, mixing continuously.
- Continue to stir until mixture is well cooked and starts to leave the sides of the pot. As it leaves the sides of the pot, you can now add your choice of garnish: peanuts, cherries, raisins and almonds and stir in.
- Empty the mixture into a greased dish, smoothen out the surface, and set aside to cool. Cut into squares.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved