Do you find yourself often with leftover rice from the day before? If so, I have a recipe that can help you avoid wasting food and save you money. Fried rice is a simple and tasty dish that can be made using leftover rice, and it doesn’t require any additional cooking of the rice before starting the recipe. To make fried rice, you’ll need some basic ingredients such as vegetables, eggs, soy sauce, and cooking oil. You can also add meat or seafood if you like.
The key to making great fried rice is to make sure the rice is dry and not too sticky. If the rice is too moist, it will clump together and not cook evenly. Spread the rice out on a baking sheet and let it cool in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before using it. Once the rice is ready, you can begin cooking the vegetables and eggs in a wok or large skillet. Then, add the rice and season with soy sauce and any other desired seasonings. Fry everything together until the rice is heated through and slightly crispy. Serve hot and enjoy a delicious and budget-friendly meal!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Course: Rice Dishes
Cuisine: Chinese /Caribbean
- 2 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup string beans chopped
- 1/2 cup oil divided
- 1/2 onion chopped (divided)
- 6 leaves chadon beni finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic finely chopped
- 1 chive chopped
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp soy sauce more if desired
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Boil the beans and carrots until tender. Drain and set aside. Using half of the oil (1/4 cup) fry the egg with some of the chopped onions. Break up the egg as shown and add salt to taste. Or you could just scramble the eggs if you like.
- Wipe the wok or frying pan and add the remaining oil. Add the chive, chadon beni, ginger, garlic and the rest of chopped onions.
- Saute for about a minute. Then add the rice, egg and vegetables. Add the soy sauce and toss over high heat for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved.
Trini Fry Rice
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 sweet pepper chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. oil sunflower
- ¼ cup. soy sauce
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 blades chive chopped
- 1 sprig celery chopped
- 2 pimento peppers red and yellow, chopped
- In a deep pot or wok, sauté the garlic and onion in the oil. Stir fry over high heat for about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat and add the carrots and stir fry it for 1 minute. Add the rice and mix well over a medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add the sesame oil and soy sauce.
- Add the celery, chive, pimento and sweet pepper and mix well. Add salt to taste and continue mixing until an even colour is achieved. Serve hot.