Let’s bake a Christmas Ham. Baking a ham is one of the easiest and most satisfying ways to prepare this delicious meat. While there are many recipes that require special preparation, boiling, or glazing, sometimes the simplest method is the most satisfying. That’s why baking a ham with nothing but cloves and banana leaves is a great option for those who want to enjoy the natural flavour of the meat without any added fuss. To begin, preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C). Take your ham and remove any packaging or netting, but leave the skin on.
Using a sharp knife, score the skin in a criss-cross pattern, being careful not to cut too deeply into the meat. Then, stick whole cloves into the scored skin, spacing them about an inch apart. This will add a subtle yet delicious flavour to the ham. Next, take a large piece of banana leaf and wrap the ham completely, making sure it is tightly sealed. Banana leaves are a traditional wrapping for many foods in many cultures, and they are perfect for baking a ham as they help to keep the meat moist and tender. Place the wrapped ham on a roasting pan and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes per pound, or until a meat thermometer inserted into
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours
Cuisine: Caribbean, creole
- 1 ham cured
- 1 pack whole cloves
- 1 large banana leaf
- Wash the ham and pat dry with paper towels.
- Singe a banana leaf and cut it to fit a large baking dish. Place the ham in the dish skin side down and add the whole cloves.
- Wrap with the remaining banana leaves and bake at 350° F for 2 1/2 – 3 hours, depending on the size of the ham, or until thoroughly cooked.
- Note: The general rule for baking ham is 25 minutes per Kilogram.
- While baking, test the meat by sticking a knife into it. If after sticking the meat, liquid comes out of it, then more baking is required.
- After 2 hours of baking, remove the banana leaves and continue baking to dry up the surface of the ham.
- Place on a rack to cool.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved
Trini Christmas Ham
- 1 ham
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 3 tbsp green seasoning
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Whole cloves
- Boil the ham for about 15 minutes and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the soy sauce, green seasoning, ketchup, pepper, and black pepper for the glaze.
- Cover the ham with the glaze. Line a baking dish with aluminum foil. Place the glazed ham in the dish skin side down.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350° F for 2 1/2 – 3 hours, depending on the size of the ham, or until thoroughly cooked. Glaze occasionally.
- When baked, add the whole cloves to the ham and allow to cool.