Trini Bhaji Rice
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 pimento peppers chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 12 dasheen leaves taro
- 1/2 hot pepper
- 3 pieces pigtail
- 2 1/2 cups rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pk coconut milk powder 50g or about 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. roucou or tomato paste
- Salt to taste optional
- Chop the pigtail into 1" pieces and pressure cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until soft. Wash and cut up the dasheen (taro) leaves making sure to remove the tips.
- Saute the garlic, onion and pimento. Add the dasheen leaves then add the pigtail and hot pepper. Mix the ingredients so that everything is evenly coated with oil.
- Add the rice, coconut milk powder and roucou. Add a little water and simmer over a medium fire for 20 to 30 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid the rice sticking.
- When the rice is cooked lower the flame and continue until most of the water has evaporated. Adjust salt to taste.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved