Toolum is a Caribbean treat made with molasses. This black, chewy, and sticky dessert is a favorite among children and adults alike.
Recipe type: Desserts
- 1 cup finely grated coconut
- 3 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp. fresh ground ginger
- ½ tsp. dried orange peel, broken into small pieces
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- Grate the coconut, preferably by hand. Grate the ginger. Break the dried orange peel into tiny pieces.
- Place sugar in pot to liquify. Add grated coconut and molasses and mix thoroughly. Then add the ginger and orange peel and stir. Stir until the mixture leaves the side. Note: To maintain the colour without burning stir over a low fire.
- Drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto a greased dish or pan. Form into balls. Note: Let the toolum cool a little. Then use the spoon first to roll the toolum before rolling it in your hands.
- Allow to cool and harden.
Serving size: each Calories: 118 kcal Fat: 6.7 g Carbohydrates: 15.2 g Sugar: 9.5 g Sodium: 9.9 mg Fiber: 1.9 g Protein: 0.7 g
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved