Sweet Rice, an Indian Cuisine, tastes a lot like ice cream. This sweet milky dessert acts as a "pepper neutralizer" after eating hot and spicy dishes.
Recipe type: Desserts
Cuisine: East Indian
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 tin (395g) condensed milk
- 1 tin (410g /14.5 oz) evaporated milk
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 dried cloves
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup maraschino cherries, quartered
- 1 tsp. vanilla or mixed essence
- 3 cups water or more if needed
- Bring water to a boil over a medium flame. Add cinnamon sticks. Continue to boil for about 2 minutes
- Wash and add rice. Boil until very soft and sticky. (Note: Add more water if necessary if the rice hasn't reached a soft consistency.)
- Add evaporated milk, condensed milk and vanilla or mixed essence. Lower flame. Stir occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking. When mixture thickens and looks like a thick porridge, remove from heat.
- Stir in raisins and cherries. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving or alternatively serve cold.
Calories: 228 kcal Fat: 5.6 g Carbohydrates: 39 g Sodium: 82 mg Protein: 6 g Cholesterol: 21 mg
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved