Sweet Potato Casserole
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Vegetarian
Serves: Yield: 1 7″ x 7″ dish
- 4½ cups sweet potato, mashed
- 1 cup mashed potato (optional)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp onion, grated
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp pimento, minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- ½ tbsp ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tbsp parsley or other seasonings of choice
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream + 1 tbsp (optional: see note)
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- Boil the sweet potato in a deep pot on medium flame. Boil until a knife pierce through easily.
- Mash the sweet potato. Add the mashed potato. Mix well. Set aside.
- In a deep skillet or pot, melt the butter on a low flame then add the garlic, ginger and onion. Cook until the onion gets translucent.
- Next, add the flour. Quickly combine.
- Then add the ¼ cup whipping cream all at once. Stir occasionally to avoid any lumps
- and to prevent a skin from forming on the surface.
- Remove from the heat when the sauce is thick. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the chopped pimento peppers to the sweet potato mixture.
- Add the black pepper, parsley and the sauce. Mix well.
- Note: Here you can add other seasonings of choice.
- Next, add the sweet pepper and ½ cup of grated cheese. Mix well.
- Note: If you find the mixture is a bit dry, you may add an extra tablespoon of cream.
- Place mixture in a casserole dish and garnish with slices of sweet pepper.
- Sprinkle the rest of cheese on the top.
- Place in a preheated oven, 375 degrees F, and baked for 20-25 minutes. Serve cool.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved