Sweet and Sour Chicken
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Appetizers
- 2 lbs. chicken, diced
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 tbsp. rice cooking wine
- ½ cup vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. peanut oil
- 2 tbsp cornstarch + 3 tbsp. water
- cornstarch for dredging
- 1- 20 oz. tin pineapple chunks
- oil for deep frying
- 1 tsp. salt (optional)
- 1 tsp. five spice powder
- 1 tsp. complete seasoning (optional)
- 2 sprigs chive, chopped ( for garnish)
- 1 green and red sweet pepper (optional)
- Wash diced chicken with lime and water. Drain. Season with soy sauce, cooking wine, complete seasoning and 5 spice powder. Marinate for at least 20 minutes. Note: The longer the chicken marinates the better it will infuse the seasoning and taste better. If you can leave it overnight it would be best.
- Dredge chicken in cornstarch and set aside for 5 minutes. Heat oil……When ready, deep fry chicken for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.Drain on paper towels.
- Now for the Sweet and Sour Sauce Place pot over medium flame and add peanut oil. When hot add vinegar, water, sugar and 1 tsp salt. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Add pineapple, and cornstarch mixed in 3 tbsp of water. Allow to reduce until thick, stirring occasionally. Then add the chicken and mix well. Remove from heat. Garnish with chopped chive (optional) Serve hot.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved