Stewed Black-eye Peas
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Vegetarian
- 1 cup black-eyed peas
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 big leaf thyme
- 1 sprig small leaf thyme
- 1 tbsp. parsley
- 2 leaves chadon beni
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup watoer or (chicken, beef, or vegetable broth)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1½ tbsp. tomato paste
- 1-2 pimento pepper, chopped
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Precooking Instructions: Clean and wash the peas. Then soak the peas overnight. For every one cup of peas use 4 cups of water. Drain the water before cooking. Or, you can try my trick and soak it in hot water 10 minutes before pressure cooking.
- Prepare the ingredients. Chop the onion, garlic, chive, thyme, and celery.
- Cooking Instructions: Heat the sugar in a deep pot. Allow the sugar to caramelize until it is golden brown. Not burnt. Add 1 cup of water or beef or chicken broth to the caramelized sugar.
- Add the black-eyed peas, onion and the chopped herbs and pimento pepper. Stir and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the peas to the pressure cooker. Add 1 cup of water. Leave to simmer, then add 1 cup of coconut milk.
- Pressure cook for 15 minutes or until soft. Add the salt and tomato paste. Allow to simmer. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot with rice.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved