Stew Pigeon Peas and Rice
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Rice Dishes
Cuisine: Caribbean, Creole
Serves: Serves 6
- 1 lb. chicken (chopped and seasoned)
- 2 cups pigeon peas (fresh)
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 leaves big leaf thyme
- 2 leaves chadon beni
- 2 sprig chive
- Salt to taste
- Shell and wash the pigeon peas. Pressure cook the pigeon peas for about 20 minutes.
- Chop the onion, garlic and other herbs and set aside. In a deep pot, caramelize the sugar. When the sugar looks golden brown add the seasoned meat.
- Stir the meat until it is evenly coated with the sugar. Add the onion and the rest of the seasoning. Mix thoroughly again.
- Add water. Leave to simmer until the meat cooks. When the meat is cooked add the pigeon peas and a little water.
- Mix well and allow to simmer for another 15 minutes. Add salt to taste. Serve hot over rice
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved