Split Peas Rice
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Rice Dishes
- 2 cups uncooked rice, washed
- ½ lb. dry split peas, cooked
- ½ cup saltfish flakes, boiled
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- ½ cup ochro, sliced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 sprig chive, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Chadon Beni, finely chopped
- 1 small bouillon cube (optional)
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- Salt to taste (about ¼ tsp.)
- 1 hot pepper (optional)
- In a deep heavy pot cook the onion and garlic in the oil until golden brown. Then add the ochro and cook until tender.
- Add the tomatoes and saltfish. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add some water and stir often so the ingredients don't stick to the pot.
- Then add the split peas. Pour some more water and cook for about 5 minutes. Add all the seasonings, peppers and tomato paste to the broth.
- Pour the coconut milk and mix. Add the rice and more water to cover all the ingredients. Cover the pot and leave for about 15 minutes to simmer.
- Uncover the pot and stir the rice often to ensure that the rice don't stick. A little more water may have to be added if rice needs to cook a little bit more.
- When most of the water has evaporated and the rice is tender remove and cool before serving.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved