Split Peas Rice
- 2 cups uncooked rice washed
- ½ lb. dry split peas cooked
- ½ cup saltfish flakes boiled
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- ½ cup ochro sliced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 sprig chive finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed and finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- ½ cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 small sweet pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp. Chadon Beni finely chopped
- 1 small bouillon cube optional
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- Salt to taste about 1/4 tsp.
- 1 hot pepper optional
- In a deep heavy pot cook the onion and garlic in the oil until golden brown. Then add the ochro and cook until tender.
- Add the tomatoes and saltfish. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add some water and stir often so the ingredients don't stick to the pot.
- Then add the split peas. Pour some more water and cook for about 5 minutes. Add all the seasonings, peppers and tomato paste to the broth.
- Pour the coconut milk and mix. Add the rice and more water to cover all the ingredients. Cover the pot and leave for about 15 minutes to simmer.
- Uncover the pot and stir the rice often to ensure that the rice don't stick. A little more water may have to be added if rice needs to cook a little bit more.
- When most of the water has evaporated and the rice is tender remove and cool before serving.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved