- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. 30 g shortening
- 2 tbsp. 30 g butter
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Dash of salt
- 2 tbsp. 30 g butter,
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped spinach
- ½ tsp. Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. chive finely chopped
- ½ tbsp. celery
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste
- 3/4 – 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 egg beaten
- Make the Pastry:
- Sift flour and salt into large bowl. Using fingertips, rub butter and shortening into flour mixture.
- Using a spatula, stir in combined water and lemon juice.
- Roll dough into ball, divide in half. Place in plastic wrap. Refrigerate over night.
- Preparing the Spinach:
- Chop the spinach.
- Meanwhile Preheat oven to about 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan, add onion, cook until onion is soft. Add chive, celery, nutmeg and pepper.
- Stir in spinach, cook for 5 minutes. Stir well.
- Stir in the cheese. Set aside, to cool.
- Roll out dough on floured surface.
- Using a cutter, cut rounds 5 inches in diameter.
- Note: We used a Dough press to cut the rounds.
- Fill pastry rounds with 1 1/2 tbsp of spinach mixture.
- Seal the spinach pastry in the press or use a fork
- Brush with a little egg. Bake uncovered in 350 degrees F oven 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve cool.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved