Spicy Coconut Rice
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Rice Dishes
Cuisine: Caribbean, Fusion
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 chadon beni leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- ½ cup roasted coconut, grated
- Salt to taste
- Make the coconut milk using about ¾ of the coconut and leave a piece to roast. Roast the coconut over a low flame. The sides will begin to char a bit.Turn the coconut over with tongs. Remove most of the char and grate. Set aside. Note: This recipe is best when fresh coconut meat is used. Don’t worry about the flame. It is supposed to blaze up due to the natural oils in the coconut.
- Boil the rice in the coconut milk over a low flame. Stir occasionally. Add bay leaves. Leave to cook until all the liquid is absorb and the rice is cooked. Note: You may have to add a little water to prevent sticking, but not too much.
- Remove the rice to a deep dish. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Serve cool.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved