These bread dumplings are made with seasoned French bread. This tasty side dish goes well with chicken and your favourite peas and beans and even mash potatoes.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
- 1 pound of stale french bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs optional
- Place the bread cubes into a large bowl.
- Heat the milk until it starts to bubble at the edges. Remove and pour over the bread cubes. Stir to coat the bread and then let it soak for 15 minutes.
- Next, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. First, add the onions, coook and stir until tender. Stir in the parsley, and remove from the heat. Mix into the bowl with the bread along with the eggs, salt and pepper.use your hands, squeezing the dough through your fingers until it is mooth and sticky.
- Place enough water in a pot, about 3-4 inches deep and add salt. Bring the water to a boil boiling. Wet your hands. Pat and cup the first portion, the size of a small orange or tangerine.
- Gently drop the dumpling into the water. Note: if it falls apart, the dough is too wet. In this case, stir some bread crumbs into the rest of the dumpling batter.
- Then form the remaining dough into large dumplings and carefully drop into the boiling water. Leave to simmer for 20 minutes. Then remove to a serving plate with a large slotted spoon. They should come out soft, spongy and delicious!
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.