Salt Mackerel and Provision
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Seafood, Main Dish
Serves: Serves 6
- 2 lbs salt mackerel
- 3 medium dasheen
- 1 cassava
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 medium yam
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 pimento peppers, chopped
- 1 med sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 8 leaves chadon beni, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Pepper to taste
- Wash and peel the provision. Boil the yam separately. Boil the rest of the provision together. Boil provision with about 1 tbsp salt.
- Soak the mackerel for 15 minutes then boil for 10 minutes. Remove the bones and tender skin gently. (Note: Use a gentle scraping motion to get the skin off. I found that when I held the knife at a 45 degree angle away from me ( knife edge that is), to scrape the skin, it came off easily!)
- Heat the olive oil over a medium flame. Saute the onion and garlic. Then add the pimento, sweet pepper and tomato. Allow to cook for 2 minutes. Add the mackerel chadon beni and celery. Mix thoroughly.
- Add a little water and simmer for two minutes. Add some pepper if you desire. Serve hot over the provision.
Sodium content in this main dish will depend on the amount of salt removed during the soaking and boiling process. Also, on how much liquid was squeezed out.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved