Roast turkey is most enjoyed during Christmas time in my country. We like a well cooked turkey served with a delicious sweet red sauce. This recipe is quite easy to follow.
- 1 10 lb turkey
- 1/2 cup of butter melted
- Green seasoning
- Salt to taste about 1 tbsp or more if you choose
- 4 limes
- some string to tie the legs
- 1 5-10 kg oven bag
- Thaw your frozen turkey properly. Clean and remove the giblets (liver, gizzard, heart, and neck). Rub the turkey down with lime.
- (Note: The giblets may be placed in a pan with water, cook on low heat until they are tender, and used in the stuffing and/or gravy.)
- Place the thawed or fresh turkey, breast up on a flat rack in a shallow pan, 2 to 2 1/2 inches deep. Season well with the green seasoning to your liking. Get the seasoning well under the skin. Salt the turkey well inside and out.
- Don’t forget to tie the legs together.
- Melt 1/2 cup of butter.
- Brush or rub the skin with the melted butter.
- Place the rubbed turkey in an oven bag. Close the bag with the special tie.
- Snip off two areas of the bag to allow steam to escape.
- Place in a preheated 325 degree F oven. Cook 1 hr at 300 degrees F, then turn the oven down to 250 degrees F. Continue to cook for about 3 – 3 1/2 hours (see table below for more details). Based on the weight of the bird this was the recommended roasting time.
If you don’t use a bag,you will need to cover the turkey with foil. You will also need to baste the turkey with liquids frequently to keep the meat moist. You may remove the cover during the last 45 minutes so the turkey will have a nice brown color.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved