- 1 10 lb turkey
- 1/2 cup of butter melted
- Green seasoning
- Salt to taste about 1 tbsp or more if you choose
- 4 limes
- some string to tie the legs
- 1 5-10 kg oven bag
- Thaw your frozen turkey properly. Clean and remove the giblets (liver, gizzard, heart, and neck). Rub the turkey down with lime.
- (Note: The giblets may be placed in a pan with water, cook on low heat until they are tender, and used in the stuffing and/or gravy.)
- Place the thawed or fresh turkey, breast up on a flat rack in a shallow pan, 2 to 2 1/2 inches deep. Season well with the green seasoning to your liking. Get the seasoning well under the skin. Salt the turkey well inside and out.
- Don’t forget to tie the legs together.
- Melt 1/2 cup of butter.
- Brush or rub the skin with the melted butter.
- Place the rubbed turkey in an oven bag. Close the bag with the special tie.
- Snip off two areas of the bag to allow steam to escape.
- Place in a preheated 325 degree F oven. Cook 1 hr at 300 degrees F, then turn the oven down to 250 degrees F. Continue to cook for about 3 – 3 1/2 hours (see table below for more details). Based on the weight of the bird this was the recommended roasting time.
If you don’t use a bag,you will need to cover the turkey with foil. You will also need to baste the turkey with liquids frequently to keep the meat moist. You may remove the cover during the last 45 minutes so the turkey will have a nice brown color. Start checking for “doneness” a half-hour before recommended end times. the turkey is done when the meat thermometer reaches the following temperatures: 180 to 185 degrees F deep in the thigh; also juices should be clear, not pink when thigh muscle is pierced deeply (170 to 175 degrees F in the thickest part of the breast, just above the rib bones (see table below for more details). You will be able to move the legs of the turkey easily when it is completely done.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved