Roast Breadfruit and Saltfish
- 1 medium breadfruit
- 1 cup flaked saltfish
- 2 to matoes diced
- 2 chadon beni leaves
- 3 pimento peppers
- 4 cloves garlic divided
- 1 sprig chive
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 tbsp flour + 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tbsp roucou
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Roast the breadfruit cut in eighths and peel.
- Chop the chadon beni, pimento peppers, 2 cloves garlic, chive, and onion.
- Dice the tomatoes.
- boil the saltfish and set aside.
- Heat the oil and saute 2 cloves of garlic for 1 minute.
- Then add the seasoning mix and the diced tomatoes. Let simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the saltfish and stir.
- Then add the roucou, pepper and black pepper.
- Add the water and flour mixture. Let simmer about 5 – 10 minutes until a slightly thick sauce is produced.
- Serve over the breadfruit.
As an added step you can fry the breadfruit after roasting, then serve withe the saltfish sauce.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved