Rice and Dhal and Fry Jashwa (Fry Dry)
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Seafood, Vegetarian
Cuisine: East Indian
- 2 cups rice, boiled
- FOR DHAL:
- 1 cup split peas, soaked overnight
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 pimento peppers
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2½ cups water
- 5 leaves chadon beni, chopped
- ½ tsp baking soda (optional)
- 1 tsp saffron powder (turmeric)
- 1 tsp geera powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 dash oil
- TO CHONGKAY DHAL:
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- FOR FRY JASHWA:
- 2 lbs. Jashwa (sardines)
- ½ lemon
- 4 tbsp green seasoning
- Salt and pepper for taste
- Flour for dusting
- Oil for frying
- Boil the rice and set aside. The split peas was soaked overnight. Cut up necessary ingredients.
- Add the split peas and seasoning to the pressure cooker (optional cooking method). Pour the water, the turmeric powder, and a dash of oil. Pressure cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the geera, and swizzle with a dhal gutney. Chongkay the dhal (heat the oil in the kalchul, add the garlic, when the garlic is golden, add it to the dhal). Cover the pot to avoid getting burned.
- Clean and wash fish with lemon juice. Add green seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Marinate for at least 1 hour. Dust with flour. Fry until golden brown. Serve with the rice and dhal.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved