Rice and Dasheen Bush Bhaji
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Vegetarian, Rice Dishes
Cuisine: East Indian
Serves: 4 - 6
- 2-3 cups Boiled rice
- 2 bundles rolled dasheen bush *
- ½ lb pigtail chopped into 1" pieces (optional)
- 1 pk coconut milk package (50g / 1.8oz) diluted in 2 cups of water or 2 cups of coconut milk
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Pimento, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 sprig of chive, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- *The centre leaf is curled and tender, so this is the best to use
- Chop and pressure cook the pigtail. (If you wish to use saltfish, cook, clean, remove the bones, and break it into flakes.)
- Chop and wash the dasheen bush. Remember to always cut off the tips.
- Cook the onion, garlic and pimento in a little oil. Add the pigtail (or the saltfish). Add the dasheen leaves, and other seasoning.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Cover and leave to simmer until most of the liquid is evaporated. Add salt to taste.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved