Rice and Curry Seim (Hyacinth Bean)
This dish is simplicity itself and also goes nicely with pickled meats such as pig snout, pig tail, smoked bones, salt beef or even stewed chicken.
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 2 lbs seim
- 2 tsp. salt optional
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp green seasoning
- 8 pimento seasoning pepper
- 3 tbsp curry
- 1 tsp geera roasted cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric powder we call this Saffron, or Hardi
- 1 tsp amchar masala
- 5 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup coconut milk powder
- 3/4 cup water + 1 cup when cooking
- Boil rice, drain and set aside.
- Wash, clean and cut up the Seim. Chop the pimento peppers, garlic and onion. Set aside.
- Mix the curry, green seasoning, geera, turmeric, and amchar masala with 5 tbsp water. Set aside.
- Heat the oil over a medium flame. Then add the chopped pimento pepper, garlic and onion. When the onion looks translucent pour in the curry mixture and let cook for 1minute or until it starts to look sticky. Add the seim and mix in with the curry.
- Mix 3/4 cup coconut milk powder and 3/4 cup water. Add to Seim and mix. Let cook for about 5 minutes add salt then add 1 cup water. Pressure cook for 10 minutes. Adjust salt to taste. Serve over rice.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved