Red Bean Pelau With Salt Beef
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Rice Dishes
- 1 ¼ cup red bean, soaked
- 1 lb salt beef, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 6 sprigs fine leaf thyme
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 whole pimento pepper or scotch bonnet pepper
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 cups rice, washed
- ½ pack coconut milk + ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 ochroes, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup pumpkin, diced (optional)
- Boil the salt beef for 15 minutes.
- Place the salted beef in a pressure cooker, together with the red beans and cover with water.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until soft.
- Remove the salt beef from the pressure cooker. Set aside.
- Carmelize the sugar in a deep pot.
- Add the salt beef. Stir to coat meat evenly with the carmelized sugar.
- Add oil, let cook for about 2 minutes then add about 1 cup water,
- garlic, onion, fine leaf thyme, celery and tomatoes. Stir.
- Note: From experience, adding the oil after lessens probability of the hot oil splattering on you.
- Add the red beans together with the optional pumpkin and ochro.
- Then add the coconut milk mixture and ketchup. Stir.
- Add rice and whole pimento pepper or hot pepper.
- Note: You may have to add a little bit of water cover the rice.
- Cover and let simmer until the rice is cooked.
- Note: While the rice is cooking turn occasionally and add water if necessary.
- When the rice is nearing completion lower the fire and let simmer.
- Continue turning the rice occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Let stand 10 minutes. Serve.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved