Pumpkin Macaroni Pie
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Pasta
- 1 pk macaroni (400g)
- 1½ cups pumpkin, grated
- 1½ cups cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1½ tbsp. ketchup
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 pimento pepper, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. white pepper
- pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 1 small red sweet pepper, sliced (garnish)
- Make the White Sauce:
- Melt butter in a saucepan or pot over a very low fire.
- Add onion and allow to cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour gradually to a smooth paste.
- Pour in the milk. Continue stirring.
- Add white pepper.
- Allow to simmer until thick. Stir gradually. Set aside.
- Note: It is normal for the milk to form a “skin” while it cools. So don’t worry too much about that.
- Boil macaroni. Drain. Place in a deep bowl. Then add the grated pumpkin. Mix well.
- Note: We used raw grated pumpkin and not cooked pumpkin. This was to avoid overcooking the pumpkin and not deriving much nutritional value from the vegetable.
- Add the white sauce, Angostura bitters, ketchup, celery, pimento, and 1 cup of cheese. Mix well.
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees F.
- Pour mixture in a well greased casserole dish.
- Garnish with sweet pepper and the remainder of cheese.
- Bake in 350 degrees F oven till golden brown, about 20 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool 10 minutes then Serve.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved