Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Recipe type: Soups
Cuisine: Creole, Caribbean
- 1 yam
- 3 large potatoes
- 7 green bananas
- 1 cup split peas
- 2 medium dasheen
- 7 (about 1 lb) eddoes or malangas
- 4 small or 1 large bouillon cube(s) (optional) see note
- 1 soup pack (e.g. maggi vegetable soup) see note
- 1 carrot
- 1 hot pepper
- 4 pimento peppers
- 1 cup flour
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Pressure cook the split peas with the chopped carrot and pimento peppers until soft. Wash and peel the provision and place in a large pot to boil. In a bowl crush the bouillon cubes if desired and mix in the soup pack.
- Add the the bouillon cube mixture and the hot pepper to the pot. Allow to simmer.
- In a bowl mix the flour and a little water ( about ⅔ cup ) to make the dumpling. Roll out the dough length ways and cut into ½ " pieces.
- When the provision is just about cooked ( test it with an ice pick or knife), add the split peas and the dumpling. The dumplings should be done in 10 to 15 minutes time. Add salt to taste.
For the really health conscious you can substitute the bouillon cubes and soup pack with your favourite seasonings. i.e. chive, chopped chadon beni, celery, onion, garlic, fine leaf thyme and big leaf thyme.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved