Kitchen remodeling is a major task which needs much planning and preparation. There is never too much planning when it comes to a kitchen makeover.
Preparing the Space
So here are some helpful ideas to prepare the space for work, whether it is a minor or a major task:
Photo courtesy www.photobucket.com
- Declutter your kitchen.
- Set up a temporary kitchen away from all the chaos. In this temporary kitchen, you can place a refrigerator, a good-sized table, a stove or a gas grill (if it is not convenient to have one there), a microwave, and a toaster. You would have to stock up on plaster plates and cups and organize a number of canned foods in the area. You can also store in the refrigerator some frozen meals.
- Expect that the entry in the kitchen may not be always accessible. You may have to use other entry ways to get around your house.
- Try to have the job completed in the shortest possible time. Most renovation professional suggest no more than 5 years for major remodeling jobs, beyond which could be very annoying for your family. Also, don’t coincide your project with major holidays and visiting guests.
- Get familiar with building code requirements, especially if you are doing a major renovation. You may get some good ideas on designing from building inspectors as well to help you make sure you meet building code requirements. However, you would need to be specific when consulting them.
- In order to test what works best for you, you may need alternative drawing layouts for your kitchen space.
- Make sure you have the necessary tools and materials for the job, such as, screwdriver, hand sander, brushes. Make sure you buy the highest quality brush. Use synthetic-bristle brushes for latex paint (they should be soft and flagged); natural-bristle brushes for oil-based paints; nylon brushes for fine work; and angled sash brushes for painting face frames. Other materials you may need for the job are TSP or other degreaser, sandpaper, masking tape, primer, enamel paint, etc..
Organizing these things before hand helps you ensure less interruption for the work and the job being done on time. These are some of the things you will need to do before remodeling the kitchen, any variation will depend on the job you have set out to do. So take some time and determine what you need to do and the things you will need to get the job done.