This plantain pie is all you would need for lunch.
Course: Main Dish
- 4 medium sized plantain semi ripe
- oil for frying
- 1 lb minced meat chicken or beef
- 1/2 cup green seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion sliced
- 6 leaves chadon beni chopped
- 1 tsp salt divided
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 1/2 cups cheese grated
- Peel and slice the plantains lengthwise.
- Place in a bowl and sprinkle a 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Mix and set aside 5 minutes.
- Over a medium flame fry 5 seconds on both sides then drain.
- Season the minced chicken with green seasoning, chadon beni, 1/2 tsp salt, onion and garlic.
- While cooking add the tomato paste and soy sauce.
- Cook for 20 – 25 minutes. Adjust salt if necessary.
- Note: Before we started layering we averaged that the pie would make about three layers so decided to separate the meat.
- Layer a greased baking dish with plantain followed by the meat and a few sprinkles of cheese.
- Continue layering until all ingredients are used up.
- Note: Make sure to reserve some of the cheese for the topping.
- Pour the evaporated milk then sprinkle the rest of cheese over the top.
- Bake for 30 mins at 350°F. Serve cool.
Click the link to download the PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved