- 4 medium cucumbers
- 1 onion sliced
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp 5 spice powder
- 1 hot pepper optional
- 750 ml vinegar
- 2 trays ice cubes
- Prepare your canning jars according to the manufacturer's instructions. Pour hot water into the jars, fill to the brim and seal. You need to keep the jars and lids hot until you need them.
- Wash the cucumbers. Cut off both ends of the cucumber. Cut into slices or lengthwise, in quarters.
- Slice the onion. Place half of the cucumbers in a deep bowl. Add some onions and salt. continue layering with the rest of cucumbers, onions and salt. Top with ice. This helps maintain a crispy, firm crunch in the vegetables.
- Cover and leave to soak for 24 hours Drain the cucumbers after 24 hours and squeeze dry. Add the sugar, turmeric, mustard, 5 spice powder and pepper to the vinegar.
- Mix well. Note: We used red pepper flakes. Pack the cucumbers into the sterilized jars. Pour the liquid into your filled jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space in the jars. The cucumbers should be submerged in the liquid completely. Leave to soak for 7 days.
You can use a mandolin to get really thin cucumber slices.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved