Sandwiches taste great with pickles. This pickled cucumber is very easy to make at home. if you’re a fan of sandwiches, you know that pickles are the perfect addition to take your sandwich from good to great. Pickles add a tangy crunch that complements the flavors of the sandwich perfectly. While store-bought pickles are readily available, making your own pickled cucumbers at home is very easy and can be customized to your taste preferences.
To make pickled cucumbers at home, you’ll need a few simple ingredients: cucumbers, vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and spices. Begin by slicing the cucumbers thinly and placing them in a clean jar. In a saucepan, combine vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and any spices you’d like to use. Bring the mixture to a boil and then pour it over the sliced cucumbers in the jar.
Allow the mixture to cool before sealing the jar and placing it in the refrigerator. Allow the cucumbers to pickle for at least 24 hours before enjoying. Making your own pickled cucumbers at home not only allows you to customize the flavor to your liking, but it’s also a great way to avoid any preservatives or additives that may be present in store-bought varieties.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 1 d 10 mins
Total Time: 1 d 20 mins
- 4 medium cucumbers
- 1 onion sliced
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp 5 spice powder
- 1 hot pepper optional
- 750 ml vinegar
- 2 trays ice cubes
- Prepare your canning jars according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Pour hot water into the jars, fill to the brim and seal. You need to keep the jars and lids hot until you need them.
- Wash the cucumbers. Cut off both ends of the cucumber. Cut into slices or lengthwise, in quarters.
- Slice the onion. Place half of the cucumbers in a deep bowl. Add some onions and salt. continue layering with the rest of cucumbers, onions and salt. Top with ice. This helps maintain a crispy, firm crunch in the vegetables.
- Cover and leave to soak for 24 hours Drain the cucumbers after 24 hours and squeeze dry. Add the sugar, turmeric, mustard, 5 spice powder and pepper to the vinegar.
- Mix well. Note: We used red pepper flakes. Pack the cucumbers into the sterilized jars. Pour the liquid into your filled jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space in the jars. The cucumbers should be submerged in the liquid completely. Leave to soak for 7 days.
You can use a mandolin to get really thin cucumber slices.
Click the link to download PDF version of this recipe.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved