Pepper shrimp is a recipe that has been influenced by our Chinese heritage on the island, but like all other Trini recipes, this one has evolved to a more Trini style Chinese recipe in our main stream Trini cooking.
Prep Time: 45 mins
Cook Time:10 mins
Total Time: 55 mins
Author: Felix (Simply Trini Cooking)
Keywords: pepper shrimp, shrimp in pepper sauce, hot pepper shrimp
- 1 lb. shrimp
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. grated ginger
- 1 med. sweet pepper
- 1 small carrot
- 1 hot pepper
- 2 pimento peppers
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 4 leaves chadon beni chopped
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 2 chives divided, chopped
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Devein the shrimp leaving the shell on. Wash and drain. Season with ginger, pimento pepper, garlic, black pepper, chadon beni, lime juice, 1 chive and salt.
- Take a fork and scour the sides of the carrot. Note: We are doing this to make a pattern. Cut the carrot into 1/8 ” slices. Cut the onion in four. Then cut each piece in half. Separate the onion layers. Cut up the hot pepper and chive.
- Heat the oil in the wok over a medium flame. Add the hot pepper and fry for 1 minute. Be careful! Add the shrimp and stir fry for 1 minute. Add about 1/4 cup of ketchup, soy sauce and a little water. Then add the onion, chive, sweet pepper and carrots. Add 1/4 cup ketchup and 1/4 cup water. Stir. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the flame when the water has reduced to the right consistency. Garnish with a sprig of chive.
Click the link to download PDF version of this recipe.
Click here for step by step recipe with pictures.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved