- 1½ lb chicken seasoned
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig chive
- 1 tbsp tomato paste or ketchup
- 1 bouillon cube optional
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tin processed pigeon peas or 1 cup fresh pigeon peas
- 1 whole green hot pepper
- 1½ cups rice
- 1 cup chopped pumpkin
- 1 medium carrot peeled and diced
- 4 small ochros optional
- 1/2 cup whole corn optional
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Clean the chicken and cut into small pieces. Season with lime juice and salt, pepper, chive, thyme, chadon beni, and parsley. Set aside to marinate for at least 3 hours.
- In a deep pot heat 2 tablespoons of sugar until slightly brown. Add the seasoned chicken. Stir in a little water ( about 1/4 cup) and cook until evenly browned.
- Continue to simmer for about 3 minutes. Prepare the peas, carrots, pumpkin, vegetables and herbs for the pot. Add to the boiling liquid. Stir then add the rice and coconut milk.
- Add water and tomato paste (and bouillon cube). If you wish you can add the hot pepper now. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and stir occasionally so the rice doesn't stick. Cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the liquid has evaporated. If you add hot pepper, remove it from the pot. Serve pelau with cole slaw or green salad.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved