- 7 chicken drum sticks seasoned and marinated
- 6 tbsp. oil divided
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tbsp. grated orange rind
- 2 tsp. arrowroot flour
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. five spice powder
- Water for sauteing the chicken
- Add the five spice powder to the seasoned marinated chicken. Saute the chicken in 3 tbsp. oil. and let it brown a bit.Add a little water occasionally and allow the chicken to cook for about 20 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoon of oil in a deep pot. Saute the onion and the garlic for one minute. Add 3/4 cup of water, the orange juice and sugar.
- Note: If you want your orange chicken to have more of an orange flavor you can substitute the water in the recipe for orange juice and decrease the orange rind by half.
- Mix the remaining 1/4 cup of water with the arrowroot powder and add to the mixture.
- When the mixture comes to a boil, add the cooked chicken and orange rind. Leave to simmer until the sauce thickens. Remove and serve with your favourite dish.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved.