Recipe type: Meats
Cuisine: Fusion, International
- 7 chicken drum sticks, seasoned and marinated
- 6 tbsp. oil, divided
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ½ tbsp. grated orange rind
- 2 tsp. arrowroot flour
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. five spice powder
- Water for sauteing the chicken
- Add the five spice powder to the seasoned marinated chicken. Saute the chicken in 3 tbsp. oil. and let it brown a bit.Add a little water occasionally and allow the chicken to cook for about 20 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoon of oil in a deep pot. Saute the onion and the garlic for one minute. Add ¾ cup of water, the orange juice and sugar.
- Note: If you want your orange chicken to have more of an orange flavor you can substitute the water in the recipe for orange juice and decrease the orange rind by half.
- Mix the remaining ¼ cup of water with the arrowroot powder and add to the mixture.
- When the mixture comes to a boil, add the cooked chicken and orange rind. Leave to simmer until the sauce thickens. Remove and serve with your favourite dish.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved.