- 1 pack yeast
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 1/4 c warm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil and extra for greasing
- 1 onion grated
- 1 lb 4 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour and extra
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper optional
- 1/2 c chopped black olives
- Sprinkle yeast over 1/4 cup of warm water add sugar and leave mixture to stand 10 min.
- Add the onion and remaining water In a separate bowl, add the parsley, sifted flour and black olives.
- Make a well and add yeast mixture. Mix gradually to a soft dough, adding water if necessary. Turn out dough on lightly floured surface and knead for 5 min or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a lightly greased and warm mixing bowl and cover with a damp towel.
- Leave to rise in a warm place for about 2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Lightly grease baking sheet. Turn dough out on lightly floured surface. This dough is a remarkable dough. It can be shaped according to your liking. Above, you can flatten the round dough and cut with a pizza knife to make strips. Then the strips can be twisted like above to make some bread sticks. Or it can be tied to make knots.
- You can also choose to make regular loaves with the dough. This dough could make two thin long loaves or round loaves. You can then use a sharp knife to make criss cross cuts over top of dough cover.
- Place the round of dough or knots etc on a prepared sheet, sheet and leave again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes. Then lower temperature to 400 degrees F and bake for further 20 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow.
Recipe © Simply Trini Cooking. All rights reserved